Fabulous in your Fifties

When you have a blog...write what'cha know right? I could write all day about turning 50. All the little things that happen to your body, the failing eye site, goat hairs, and that first pubic looking mystery hair that has magically appeared on the side of your face. Last but not least, light incontinence..tee hee. Growing up as a teenager in the seventy's was amazing. Guys in long wavy shag hair cuts, bell bottoms, platform shoes and 70's bubble gum AM radio music. Now those same guys are bald, they wear 'dad jeans' and running shoes. I never thought of how fast those days were going to fly by. Every decade blurred by me like my relationships with boyfriends (and boy of boy were they a blurr)...and then I turned 50. I had my very own birthday party. Yup, just for me! I even had my own birthday slogan. 'It's All About Me'...it wasn't about my kids this time. They've all had wonderful parties. I care for them every day...I wanted one day where I could be celebrated. After all, a milestone was approaching and I didn't feel any sadness about getting to the half a century mark, I was celebrating it by actually reaching it!!! Youthful Tip 101: I've found that you can take care of your face all you like, dye your hair and wear super cool clothes in your fifties(please never wear your daughter's clothes, it makes it so obvious you're trying too hard.) Do you know what gives you away? Your neck!!! Oh that sneaky neck. You don't even think about it...all of a sudden the skin has changed from supple tight youthful splendor to...hey I'm starting to look like Grandma!! Author Nora Ephron (Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally) wrote a book 'I Feel Bad About My Neck' a candid, hilarious look at women who are getting older and dealing with the tribulations of maintenance, menopause, empty nests, and life. A recommended read by the way. If you are going to feel sad and depressed about reaching this monumental milestone in your life, then the only thing that will keep you from living a wonderful fulfilling life is You!! Keep your spirits up! If it takes daily affirmations or watching re-runs of Happy Days, do it! Go out and flirt with a younger man (or woman) and smile...for cripes sakes smile! (smiling lessens the look of jowls lol) Gad...I even catch myself being too serious sometimes and I put myself in check and smarten the hell up. Don't complain and whine and feel sorry for yourself. Nobody wants to hear it...nobody...they really really don't. Oh sure, a friend may ask how you are doing, don't tell them the bad stuff...always find something positive to say. I will leave you with a wonderful Nora Ephron quote: “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” ― Nora Ephron Love Ya xx Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment